I’ve been following this club since ’63 when it was formed and I’d never thought I’d see the day it’d sell it’s soul like this. What were all of those years for? For a drinks company to come and get a bit of publicicity. It’s a joke.Gerald Thomas – Supporter
- Club Name: Red Bull London (Formerly Welling United)
- Owner: Red Bull GmbH
- Founded: 2019 (Takeover)
- League: Vanarama National League South
- Location: Bexley, South London
- Stadium/Grounds: Park View Road
- Capacity: 15,000
Welling United, soon to be named “Red Bull London” have announced that the takeover of the club by The Red Bull GmbH consortium led by Matthew Boon and Isabelle Phillips has been completed.
It brings speculation to an end a three month waiting process since it was announced that a sale of the club to the duo had been agreed. A spokesman for Welling United said: “Welling United is delighted to confirm that following the National League’s approval of the proposed change of club ownership, legal completion of the sale has now occurred.”
The pair, who assume control of the south London based club, have also been appointed to the board at Park View Road and begin work effectively immediately.
In a statement, the club announced that more details about the takeover and it’s name change will be released in due course leading to some very vocal fan dismay.
Gerald Thomas, a Welling United fan of 56 years passionately spoke about the ongoing speculation last week amidst the rumours that were circulating;
“I’ve been following this club since ’63 when it was formed and I’d never thought I’d see the day it’d sell it’s soul like this. What were all of those years for? For a drinks company to come and get a bit of publicicity. It’s a joke”
With reported aims to achieve 3 back to back promotions and a new state of the art stadium in the planning stages, The Red Bull GmbH consortium are certainly showing great intent and the sort of swift success found at their other clubs; Leipzig, Salzburg, New York and Brasil.
Fans can expect to see big changes afoot but at what cost will Welling United’s history be forgotten?
As quite possibly the most hated team in England, can you take the helm of Red Bull London and steer them in the direction of success? With a consortium in charge ready to inject money wherever necessary the pressure is on to not only be successful but to attract fans whereby so many have been lost in the process. Welling United, while replaced in name, still holds dear in the heart of it’s few remaining fans. Will you honour and respect the history of this 56 year old football club or will you drive forward at all costs and begin a new legacy of your own?
- Download Link – Click here to download (Credit for this custom club goes to u/D3V1Lryd3r who came up with the concept and sourced the badges from u/therealmaxfischer and kits from u/The_keg__man. FM Ideas simply put it in a nice little package and put a ribbon on the top for you guys. 🙂
Link contains: editor data & RB London folder.
- PLEASE ENSURE YOU REMOVE ANY OTHER DATABASE GRAPHICS (CUSTOM CLUBS) FROM YOUR GRAPHICS FOLDER BEFORE STARTING THIS SAVE AS THEY MAY SHARE THE SAME TEAM IDs.
- Place “Red Bull London.fmf” into the editor data folder found in Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2020/editor data
- Place the “RBL Graphics” folder into the graphics folder found in Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2020/graphics
- Ensure you load the Vanarama National League South in order to take charge of Red Bull London.
- If you have any issues please get in touch and don’t forget to let us know how you get on!